Saturday, March 13, 2004

WEST-Blah

In case you ever wonder, what you've heard about the WEST-B is true and misleading. Yes, it is fairly easy, assuming you've grown up in the American school system and have actually paid attention. However, what they don't tell you (and what I wasn't told), is that it's increadably LONG and borring. Just so everyone knows, the WEST-B is a test for people who want to be teachers in Washington State. For those of you who care, I'll elaborate on the gory details of the test. For those who don't, just skip the next paragraph. (Of course, this is assuming that I have more than one person who reads my blog. . .)

There are 3 sections to the test: Reading, Writing, and Math. The writing section has two parts to it: a section that looks strangly like the reading section, and an actual writing section, where you write two essays. In the multiple choice part of the writing section, you have to read passages and identify things that are wrong w/ the reading, like gramatical errors, or wordiness. The test writers must not have been very creative, because after the first half, you realize they are asking you the same 3-5 questions on each section, just in different orders. Quite tedious. The Reading section looked identical to the multiple choice section of the writing section; the only difference were the types of questions, like "what's the main idea of the selection?" Again, it was alot of the same stuff, and was pretty boring. Especially when you're reading about the same cultural stuff that's really quite PC (gotta love Washington State). The math portion wasn't actually all that bad. Most of the stuff was basic arithmatic; not too bad, but it's been a while since I haven't used my calculator. : ) Although, I must say, it only took a minute or two and I was back at it just like "before calculators." Those people who say calculators make people stupid are the same people who say TV rots your brain. There is some truth, but not a blanket truth in the statement. Ok, enough w/ that. Anyway, the only stuff I had issues w/ on the math section was stuff that most of you probably think is really easy:median, mean, and mode. Granted, I'm sure the concepts aren't that hard, but I was NEVER TAUGHT THEM in all my years of math classes, all the way up to Calculas. I know mean is the same as average, and I think mode is the most common once, but meidan? They are all so simlar, and not haveing ever really learned them. . .oh well it was just 2 questions, and I guessed. So that was the test. I took almost the full 4.5 hours alotted for the test, which is a long time to sit and read a stupid test booklet. Ok, enough about the WEST-Blah.

To those of you who skipped the last paragraph, welcome back. This last week has really be fairly awful, since you asked. : P It seems that, at least for the last 2 quarters, the week before finals has been worse than the finals themselves. That's definatly true this last week. Friday was "the day it all was due." Almost literally. But there was just enough due the rest of the week so I still didn't have the time to get it done before Thursday night (of course). Suffice it to say, by the time I made it to Friday, I was wiped, and could do nothing but sleep during my breaks between classes. That afternoon I did some exploring of a park I've recently discovered that I like down by I-90 in south Bellevue. I guess it's this big wetland preserve, right in the middle (so to speak) of Bellevue. Enjoyed that, and then went over to Anders' house and tried to help be creative consultant on a video project he's working on. Don't know how well I did. . .but he's still talking to me, so that's a good sign.

Well, I think I've dumped enough info into this posting. Next week holds finals for me, but they'll all be done by Wednesday afternoon, so that's cool. Just a few more days and then I'll be on Spring Break (which is WAY over due).

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home