Monday, July 21, 2008

Workshop Update

Alright, so here's what I know about this fabulous Spokane Biotechnology workshop thing I've gotten myself into. Arrived yesterday about 5:15 pm. The drive wasn't too bad (talked to Cari for a while which was great, and listened to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on CD). When I got here, I checked in w/ the nice lady at the table and was informed that in fact I did have a roommate, though he haddn't arrived yet. Well, it wasn't what I wanted, but at least I knew and the guessing was over.

I unpacked and explored the campus for a while (very nice, pretty), but seeing as it's so freaking HOT over here, I decided to come back to the apartment and not move for a while. It didn't take long before I became bored, so I pulled out the DS that Ben is loaning me and spent some quality time playing Zelda (my latest addiction).

A while later, another guy shows up and we talked for a while which was cool. Turns out he's changing schools and will be at LW next year, the high school my JH feeds into. He's teaching biology, which means he'll have some of my students from this last year. Kinda' cool connection, especially as I was starting to feel disconnected here.

So the night goes on, and no roommate. And here we are on the 2nd night, and I'm still in a room by myself. Don't know how that worked out, but I'm thankful it did. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well last night, what with it being a new place, and it staying hot all night, so today I've been a bit more tired.

Today was alot of logistical stuff, which was fine. We did get to run an electrophoresis lab, which was fun. I did basically the same one when I was in college, but it was fun to do again and remember some of that stuff.

Tomorrow we get to be leaving on a bus at 6:30 am (which you know I'm looking foward to) to come back to Seattle to visit some biotech companies. We're staying on-campus at UW overnight, doing more tours from the crack of dawn on Wednesday, drivig back to Spokane, crashing, and getting up and doing more stuff Thursday and Friday, though not nearly as intense.

All in all things are going well, though I don't feel like there's been enough happening to know if I'm really "enjoying" my time. But I think it'll be worth while and a good learning experience for me if nothing else.

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home