Tuesday, June 22, 2004

My, how multicultural!

I've just started my 2 week summer class at UW: Multicultural Education. Yup, it's as bad as it sounds. Actually, for the most part it's not too bad, but we are being very inclusive, non-offensive, and using specific language and all that stuff. Some of it actually makes sense, and to a degree is good to use in the classroom, while most of the rest of it is over the top, I think.

I can understand that white men have dominated the prominant places in what's taught in our schools in the past, but, especiall in our country, that's because they did much of the historical and siginificant things. Right or wrong, other cultures weren't able to contribute in the same, major-appearing ways, and thus they don't appear as prominatnly in US history. That doesn't mean that we need to re-write history to include what wasn't there.

Granted, I agree that there is some more inclusion that can be done to give place to those of different cultures and ethnicities that didn't/haven't gotten their deserved recognition in the past, but I'm not at all for changing what's taught, or ignoring those significant figures who happen to be white men. Especially in the realm of science, which I'll be teaching, things are how they are, regardless of race, gender, or ethnicity. If a white man made a discovery, then a white man made the discovery. If he wasn't Asian, I can't change that, and I'm not about to ignore the discovery if it's a scientifically significant one. And I think to do so would be bad teaching.

Now do I mention any of this in class? Certianly not! I would get eaten alive. But this is my blog, and it's called "The View From Here" for a reason, so I'll say what I think, take it or leave it.

Ok, for those who are wondering, my trip to Florida was actually a good one. I enjoyed myself and took LOTS of pictures. If anyone actually wants to see them, let me know (by more than just comment) and we can find a time to look at them. Otherwise, I may see if Ben can show me how to put pics up on this site so I can at least show some of the best ones (like me in Dr. Seuss Island and Universal Islands of Adventure).

Ok, that's all for now. I have to prepare for a presentation tomorrow in my class about some multicultural guy.

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home