Monday, July 23, 2007

Deathly Hallows - Final (for now)

So I'm truely pathetic. I was being good and went to bed after my last post, but then I couldn't sleep. I don't know if it was because I haddn't finished the book, but I suspect it has more to do with the tea I had several hours earlier: I think the caffine was still in my system. So instead of tossing and turning, I decided to put my time to good use and finish the book. : )

Some things that surprised me: I didn't expect that all the stuff about the Deathly Hallows was true and real; I thought there was more to it than we had known up to that point. So I was wrong there. Honnestly, I'm also surprised that Snape died so easily and quickly. And that I guess I have to concede that he was in fact good. That's hard for me to say, as I still don't like him as a character...I'm going to have to wrestle with that one. He did everything out of a love for Lily, Harry's mother, but he never really liked Harry, of that I'm still convinced. He loathed him and the memories of James he brought back, I think. Does that make his actions good, or simply motivated by his own selfish desires? Still need to think on that.

Then there's Dumbledore, my original favorite character. The thoughts Harry saw that revealed so much information in the pensive really dissapointed me about my favorite character. But then, after reading the chapter in King's Cross station, I felt my love for the character returning. I'm going to have to re-read the chapter on the pensive to see how I feel about those past events in light of what we now know from the King's Cross station information.

I was right and wrong about Harry's end. Yes, he did in fact have to die, as I suspected, but I did not expect that he'd be able to come back to life again! And, even though there were a great many characters who were killed, I was surpised by the small number of main characters who died. I really figured one of the 3 would be killed. Of all the deaths in the book, the death of Dobby was the most difficult and sad for me. I think Lupin's death would have been more impactful if we had seen it and experienced it. And the fact that Harry was avoiding his emotions at that point, trying to press towards his goal, and therefore we didn't feel his emtions about the situation as we did w/ Dobby.

Ok, I need to pay better attention in class, I may post more later (it'll depend on how tired I am later)

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home