Thursday, July 12, 2007

HP: Order of the Phoenix Movie Review

Just saw the 5th Harry Potter movie: The Order of the Phoenix and thought I'd write up a review (at 1am) instead of going to bed. Doesn't that sound like a good idea?

First of all, I am glad I did not just read the book. I've found in the past that I enjoy book-based movies much more when the details of the "correct" story are less in the forefront of my mind; I tend to get hung up on all the things the movie does "wrong". For this movie, its been at least a year since I've read the books, so I'm good.

Overall I enjoyed the movie. It was well done and I think it did a great job of capturing the essence of the book. The story included several details that weren't necessary to advance the plot, but were welcome additions that carried deeper meaning for those of us who have read the book. I think Dan Radcliff (actor who plays Harry) did a good job. Emma Watson (Hermione) and Ruber Grint (Ron) were ok, but I wasn't super impressed; there were a few lines that came accross a bit cheesey.

I think one of the things that I didn't like about the movie was Umbridge. I don't mean that I didn't like her character; on the contrary, I didn't hate her enough! When reading the book, I absolutly abhored the character and avoiding reading a few chapters w/ her featured when I re-read it. However, during the movie I found myself smiling at her from time to time, not something I should be doing! Her character is evil with a sugar coating. I think the sugar went a bit too deep in the movie protrayal.

While there were other relativly minor changes, a part at the end really bothered me as a change. The dual between Voldemort and Dumbledore was spectacular at first. Lost of bright shiny spells and energy emenating from the both of them. But then they did this weird thing where Voldemort inhabits Harry (which is based on something in the book), but they show Dumbledore helplessly watching, doing nothing. I think this is really an attack of character on Dumbeldore. Rarelly does Rowling portray Dumbledore as appear helpless or confused or afraid. It just isn't his nature. Even when fighting Voldemort, he's described as being calm and collected, just as if he was stroling down the hallway. Seeing as Dumbledore is my favorite character, it really bothers me when they change who he is.

So, to sum up, over all, I enjoyed it and feel they did a good job of preserving the main ideas of the book. Some changes I am fine with, others, not so much, but I enjoyed it and will undoubtably see it again (though probably not till its on DVD).

4 comments

4 Comments:

At 6:20 AM, Blogger Ian said...

Ryan,
I saw the movie on Saturday and am now eagerly awaiting the arrival of the 7th book.

While in general I agree with your review, I have to disagree on two points. I think they portrayed Umbridge perfectly in the movie. I honestly couldn't stand her at all (so in that regard it was very faithful to the book). It was like the sickly sweet taste that causes you to gag.

Also, I didn't interpret the scene with Dumbledore as him being confused or scared. I do think he was afraid (given the way Rowling has portrayed him I'm sure he would be the first to admit that he feels fear) and unable to act but only because to do so would presumably endanger Harry's life. I think Voldemort knew that which is why he used that particular tactic. I think Dumbledore couldn't do anything without risking Harry so Dumbledore knew that only Harry could overcome that particular trial. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's how I interpret it.

I did like how Harry was able to expel Voldemort from his mind by focusing on images of love and friendship. And when Harry says "I pity you", I thought it was a really well done indicator of Harry's personal development that he realized that. I don't recall that being in the book, although it has been a while since I read it.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger R. Palmer said...

Well hi! Glad to hear you enjoyed the movie. My big failing when it comes to movies based on books I've read is that I want them to match my experience of the book as closely as possible. My experience of Umbridge when reading the book was much worse than in the movie, but it sounds like yours matched, so that's great!

And I would continue to dissagree with you about the ending w/ Dumbledore. I've thought about it more, and I think the issue is not that the event didn't occur in the book (because it basicaly did), but that the director chose to cut to Dumbledore's face multiple times, showing him doing nothing, to me indicating helplessness. In Rowling's account of the event, the focus is on Harry and Voldemort, so you aren't aware of Dumbledore doing nothing. The movie highlights this, and I think that's what I saw and have trouble with. Does that make sense?

 
At 4:24 AM, Blogger Ian said...

I've always taken the view that as long as the movie captures what I feel the spirit of the book is, I'm happy.

Yeah, that does make sense. I'm still choosing to interpret it my way though. :)

What did you think of their choice for Luna Lovegood? I thought they picked a really good person to play the part.

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger R. Palmer said...

Again, the casting and portrayal of the character didn't fit my image from the book, but I think it was a good interpretation of the character. A bit to etherial for my taste, but I can see where that interpretation would come from.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home